Windy Arbour appears on maps of Dublin as early as 1660, and it also appears to have been called Sandy Arbour.
There were many mills along the Slang River which flows through Windy Arbour Village and there was at least one paper mill in the village itself.
Olivemount Road, was the site of a Workhouse, while the townland of Farranboley is also marked on early maps.
When Robert Emmet (1778-1803) visited his family's country home The Casino, just off the Dundrum Road after Milltown Bridge, the area was known as Milltown. Emmet's mother was related to the Temple family who lived at Palmerston Park and his family were from the Church of Ireland Protestant tradition. The main family home was in St Stephen's Green and the family went to Church at St Peter's in Aungier Street, which is now the YMCA, and where some hisotrians believe his body was reburied after initally being buried in Bully's Acre, in the grounds of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, which now houses the Irish Museum of Modern ART( IMMA).
The Catholic Church on Bird Avenue was not built until the 1930s, so most Catholics living around the area worshipped in either Milltown or Dundrum.
Windy Arbour was part of Dundrum Parish,